FAQ for APG vNext (V5)
Can you tell me what this new version is about?
What's new in APG vNext is its unique Content Publishing
capabilities that can help you build your online community:
Click here to see a short Content Publishing guide
- Integrated Blogging makes it easy for you to publish and re-purpose expert & community content (guest blogging) in your forum;
- Content Slider & Featured Articles gives you the ability to visually grab users' attention by highlighting interesting activities & discussions in the community;
- Dynamic page creation (simple CMS) allows you to create pages for special purposes. You can create:
- sign-up pages for people from different traffic sources (typically called landing pages),
- about us page,
- thank you page,
- ... and have them show up on unique URLs as well as under the forum menu.
- Feature embedding in posts makes it easy to:
- increase member sign-up with a short registration form embedded in the forum posts.
- generate and embed a survey from multiple polls in a post to collect opinions from your community
. And you can test these features on the demo forum
What are improved in this new version?
The whole User Experience (UX)
. APG vNext's interface is redesigned and streamlined for better UX over the last versions. Everything was tested to ensure the final product is very easy to use and understand
The most noticeable improvements are found in:
- General UI - better styles for buttons, fonts (golden ratio) & layout spacing to improve readability & draw attention;
- WYSIWYG - enhanced formatting tools, auto save draft, drag 'n drop, multi-file uploads & attaching photos from the gallery;
- Social Media Accounts Integration - One-click login support for Facebook, Twitter and Google+ (and a host of openID providers);
- Search functionality - feature rich results filtering and sorting, and you can search right where you are without leaving the current page;
- Top Navigation - easy to access menu lets you access important features from any page (like the latest posts and search) without leaving the current page;
- Private Messaging - messages are now grouped in threads that makes reading the entire conversation easy. Quick reply enabled too;
- Full Read Tracking - keeps visitor's read history across devices making it easy to pick up where you left off from any place.
- Built-in Mobile Web App - a lightweight mobile web app compatible with all modern mobile devices (iOS, Android, Windows... phones and tablets) are included. See the next section for more info.
Take a look at this Top Community Feature Presentation
and see why you should choose APG vNext for your community needs.
Does the software provide better support for Mobile Devices?
Yes, APG vNext now has a lightweight, auto-detecting mobile web app built in. It is based on the jQuery Mobile
framework which means the web app supports nearly all A & B level devices jQuery Mobile supports (the list cover all smart phones that have market share). It is not just for iOS, but Android phones and Blackberry too. Check out the Mobile Web App
Do Photos and Videos show correctly on Mobile Devices?
Yes. If you embed photos or videos from Youtube, they show correctly without distortion. APG vNext Mobile Web App displays responsive content to ensure readability.
Does the software support file attachments for iOS 6+ devices?
Yes, both iOS (iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch) and Android users can upload photos directly from their devices.
Can I upgrade my existing V3 or V2 license?
Yes. The upgrading process is streamlined and takes only a few minutes to complete for Version 3 users. It is similar for version 2, but a little longer because of the database structure change involved. Take a look at our upgrade benefits page for new the improvements and pricing
If I upgrade, will my current message URLs from V3 continue to work?
Yes, the URL structure is the same as the previous version. Nothing is changed in this area other than we are support an additional URL structure. You won't lose traffic during the V3-> vNext transition.
What are the new System Requirements?
- Web Server: Windows 2003, 2008, 2012;
- IIS Version: IIS 6, 7, 7.5;
- ASP.NET Version: 4.0, 4.5;
- SQL Server Version: 2005, 2008, 2012;
- Minimum Edition: SQL Express w/ Advanced Services (for Full-Text Search)
We no longer
support ASP.NET 3.5 and below.
post edited by APGvNext Sam - 2014/03/18 11:53:22