When you're trying to grow a community, you want to reduce the friction
for new members to participate. So you open up the forum for new visitors to register and decide not to put anyone on the watchlist, so new people can start posting away once they confirm their emails.
You do this to drive up participation but at the cost of less control
Soon you realize not only those who genuinely wanted to participate signed up... spammers and their employees signed up
too. And you start fighting the endless battles against spammers
I wrote in an earlier post.
The most common reaction against spammers is to put everyone new on the watch list
- ie. their posts need manual approval until they've accumulated a certain amount of approved posts. Or you close up the forums
and ask your moderators to approve each new post.
These workaround makes new members feel unwelcome
, because you treat everyone as spammer and want them to prove their innocence.
New members can easily lose patience and leave
because they often feel they have to wait too long to see their posts approved.
This is definitely not what you want to grow a community.
Make your new members feel welcome with Akismet
With an automated spam filter like Akismet in place for our new version 5.1, you no longer have to close up your forums to genuine participants. Akismet can determine in real-time if a post is spam so that the forum software can respond right away.
The result: New members feel accepted
in real-time and spammers rejected
in real-time, too.
And if you want, you can still place new members on the watch list, and have the Akismet plugin approve their new posts for you.
The plugin is smart as it doesn't interfere with your forum setup:
- It doesn't slow down the page load time due to the spam check submission to Akismet. Everything happens in the background (multi threading).
- It's transparent - it doesn't change the way your existing members use the forum, and it doesn't require new posts to be put on the watchlist in order to perform spam check. It affects Spammers only.
- It checks for edited posts too, but doesn't approve them automatically, if the author is on the watch list. Spammers could try tricking Akismet by posting and editing a post right away. In this edge case the software will notify your moderators to inspect the post.
- If someone is placed on the watchlist personally (you manually set the approval required flag for this account), our software will notify both Akismet and your moderators at the same time, and will not approve the post automatically.
- And if you want to test the reliability of Akismet detection before rolling it out, you can set to log Akismet results only, without any action afterwards (deleting / approving posts).
Your moderators and members will thank you
Moderators feel less overwhelmed
because they no longer have to clean up spam. Your members feel more engaged
because they no longer have to wade through spam posts to find real discussions.
Version 5.1 with Akismet integration is available for purchase now
. If you own a license already, you can download the upgrade from our private forum.
Have a good day everyone!Leave a comment