Additional WYSIWYG editor UI improvements
In addition to the Auto Save / Crash Recovery editor feature we talked about last time, we also revamped the WYSIWYG editor UI to streamline the user experience (UX
WYSIWYG editor improvement is one of the main focuses for this upcoming V4 release. In addition to browsing the forums and the gallery, the editor is the main tool users have to interact with the message board, and therefore, it is vitally important that we make the editor easier to use and more intuitive in its presentation:
Editor UI Style Changes
You will notice the following immediately when bringing up the editor in V4:
- all notices are now shown using tooltip bubbles, making info easily noticeable and not distracting;
- toolbar buttons that show a popup interface are now styled with a consistent, light-weight window look;
- a set of large buttons are shown on the right hand side for easier access to important functions;
The above style changes are aimed to provide a more consistent and intuitive UX. In contrast to the current version, for example, the current Upload button is small and harder to spot, while the Insert Image window currently has a different style than the rest of the software.
Important Feature Changes
Other than the immediately noticeable differences in style, the editor also receives several major feature upgrades:
The upload aspect is improved greatly usability-wise:
- Multiple attachments can now be selected and uploaded at once; no more multiple mouse clicks to select files;
- Uploaded Attachments are now listed above the editor with image preview for easier access;
- When an attachment is inserted into the message, it shows an identifiable visual aid (as opposed to an [attachment] code in the current version), and a preview for image will pop up when clicked on;
- Attachment links can now appear in message quotes. They are removed when quoted in the current version due to certain limitations.
- Users not only have the ability to insert images from the internet, they can now attach photos directly from the gallery by selecting images from a popup window;
- Users now have access to the upload feature from the image management window; This is to address a common misunderstanding in the current version that users click on the image URL tool when they actually want to "upload" an image from their computer.
Although not a "feature" per se, smileys in V4 are now directly inserted into the editor. In the current version, smileys are inserted with their respective codes, like [
:)], and then translated into actual images when viewed.
Other under the hood features
The software can now validate image URL before an image is inserted
into the editor. Valid image pattern is made configurable too. In addition, the WYSIWYG editor core is upgraded to the latest version making it more compatible with the new browsers on the market
Thanks for your attention today and I will post again soon about other exciting new features for Version 4!