What's the typical software installation / upgrade process?
First time software installation:
It's a 3-step process:
- Pre-installation configuration: edit ~/web.config to add a machine key and your SQL server connection string for the software.
- File transfer: upload everything to your server via FTP. Alternatively, you can use Visual studio to publish the software too.
- Setup: A 5-step, web based (w/ your browser) setup program that takes you through the entire installation process (~5 minutes).
After setup is finished, you'll be redirected to your community and greeted by a welcome message. After that you'll add mail server info
in the admin control panel and change the folder permission
so that your users can upload photos and attach files to post.
Detailed installation instruction (elaboration of the 3 step process; a pdf document) is provided with the software.
Upgrade / updates:
Software upgrade packages (only files that needs upgrading) will be provided to make it very easy to upgrade your software.
It's a 2 step process:
- File transfer: upload the package content to your site, overwriting existing files.
- Upgrade: The same setup program used to install the software will run and you just click a few buttons to complete the database upgrade.