How do I troubleshoot a software error and file bug reports?
Before you report errors / bugs on the support forum, please follow these steps:
- Locate the detailed error message in the error log
- In case you can't get to the error log...
- Try reproducing it on the demo forum
- Post a bug report
There is an Include the detailed error message and / or screen shotsError Log
section in the admin control panel, under System Related Options
. Don't forget to import errors
if you see a notice at the top about "unimported errors
Most of the errors that need importing are database related. So, you can search for the errors you have just imported by typing SQL in the "Source" filter box and then select "Contains" in the drop down. Back to top
If the error prevents you from access the forum at all, we need to see the detailed error directly in the browser. You are currently seeing the simplified error message which is not enough for troubleshooting. In case you can't get to the error log...
Open ~/web.config and look for:
<customErrors defaultRedirect="~/PGDErrorHandler.aspx" mode="On">
Set the mode to "Off", save the file on your server, and see what is shows.
You may also find error logs under the ~/upfiles/logs/
folder. These are the "unimported" errors we refer to in the above step. Back to top
Once you have the detailed error message, please Try reproducing it on the demo forumtry reproducing the issue
on the demo forum
. If you can, then this is a bug in the software.
See if you can get the same error logged on the demo forum.
If the nature of the issue you encountered does not allow you to try on my demo forum (e.g. email related, social media integration related), please proceed to the next step. Back to top
Ok, now you can post your issue on the forum. Please include: Post a bug report
Back to top
- The detailed error message you gathered in step 1 & 2. If there isn't any, please describe it in detail.
- The steps to reproduce the issue. If you have reproduced the issue on the demo forum, please point it out.
- If the issue you are reporting is a software behavior issue (doesn't generate errors), please specify in your error report.
- If you are trying to report some anomalies on the page display or trying to refer to something that cannot be explained easily in simple words, please include a screen shot or two. I will be able to provide better help if I can understand the problem better.